By Jenni Madison
Is coconut oil in your first aid kit?
Everyone knows that coconut oil is great for cooking and creating natural beauty treatments, but did you know that coconut oil has healing properties too? Coconut oil’s antiviral, antifungal, antimicrobial, antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make it the ideal multi-tasking product for your first aid kit.
Ways to use coconut oil in your medicine cabinet
1. You can use coconut oil to help heal small nicks and cuts. Just mix a little coconut oil and honey for an antibacterial healing salve.
2. Coconut oil can ease the itching and flaking of dandruff. Just massage coconut oil into the scalp to rehydrate your skin. Leave for a while and then shampoo out, leaving your hair flake-free.
3. The antifungal properties of coconut oil make it perfect for any fungal infections like athlete’s foot. Mix it with a little oregano oil and/or tea tree oil to help the healing process along.
4. Spots and stings can be treated with coconut oil. Dab the area and wait for the soothing antibacterial properties to start working.
5. Coconut oil can calm down a stye quickly. Clean your face and gently apply coconut oil to the inflamed area around your eye. Wash and reapply regularly and the pain and swelling will reduce.
6. Treat cold sores with a swab of coconut oil. Tea tree oil or oregano oil can be added to speed up the healing process.
7. Coconut oil is great at soothing sunburn. Cool the skin with a wash cloth and when the burn has calmed down a little, gently apply coconut oil to the affected area. If you reapply regularly, not only will the sting disappear, but your skin will have the best chance of recovering without peeling.
8. Lice can be treated with coconut oil. Not only does the oil suffocate them, but it makes it harder for them to keep a grip the hair follicles. There are many recipes online that include mixing it with various ingredients such as garlic oil, tea tree oil, oregano oil and cider vinegar to get rid of lice and leave you with silky hair. Home remedies for lifehas some useful recipes you can experiment with.
9. Warts and moles can be removed or reduced by rubbing in a little coconut oil and then covering with a bandage or band aid. Repeat the process at least twice a day and stick with it as it may take a few weeks before you see a noticeable difference.
10. Bruises can be treated quickly and easily with a little coconut oil to help them heal.
11. For swimmers ear, ear aches or ear infections, try a few drops of warmed coconut oil in the ear while lying down and then add a cotton ball. Only do this if there is no damage to the ear drum and be sure to make sure the oil isn’t too hot.
12. If you’re suffering with toothache, rub some coconut oil into the gums and the pained tooth for instant relief.
With so many different uses, make coconut oil your go-to product to keep your household fit and healthy.